Thursday, March 6, 2008

Day Three - Big Sky, Montana

I didn't get up to the slopes until 1pm today since I had to take care of some business (getting some documents notarized, UPS'ing them back, etc). It was much simpler than I thought. My hotel pointed me at the American Bank about two miles from where I am staying. I drove there and the manager, Ross, was happy to sit with me while I signed and he notarized the docs. I asked him how much I owed since in Seattle banks typically charge $10 or so if you're not a customer. He was taken aback and said he was happy to do it out of hospitality. In fact, all the locals I have met here have been warm and kind people. The bank even had a couple of dogs hanging out in the lobby who would greet each customer and the customers would also greet them by name. Very sweet.

It was much warmer today and got up to maybe 25 on the slopes. I shed the arctic gear I have worn for the past couple of days and donned my spring skiing gear. At times on the lift I was a little cold, especially when the wind picked up, but after I got moving again I was quite comfortable.

I had a nice day revisiting my favorite slopes from the past couple of days. This was the last day I am skiing Big Sky. Tomorrow and Saturday, I will be at Moonlight Basin, on the other side of the mountain from Big Sky. I am excited to try a new place and it has a terrific looking mix of blacks and blues offering plenty of opportunity to mix it up and continue to challenge myself.

Physically I am holding up well. I thought this much skiing would take more of a toll on my body but I have little soreness even after 5+ hours on the slopes each day. I am heartened that the aerobic and strength conditioning I have been doing has helped prepare me for the trip.

No comments: