Saturday, March 8, 2008

Day Five - Big Sky, Montana

Feeling a bit better today so I saddled up after breakfast and headed to Moonlight Basin, a ski area on the northern side of Lone Mountain, over the ridge from Big Sky. It is a much more homey feeling resort than Big Sky and smaller. I was able to park within 20 yards of where I could put on my skies and head for the lifts. It was sunny this morning and quickly warmed up, getting into the 40s. After lunch I changed into much lighter spring skiing gear since I was a little warm in the morning. Moonlight Basin's main attraction are the Headwater chutes, a set of double black diamond runs high up on the mountain. I passed skiing Headwater this trip since I am not ready, yet. Next time. I also want to do these with a guide to be safer. I skied a lot of single blacks, both steeps and moguls which was fun. I also did a few gladed runs. I have never skied trees before and it was a new challenge for me, especially when there were bumps and trees - a veritable obstacle course. It was fun and I got more comfortable with the kind of control you need to ski this type of terrain. I am glad I had a helmet though.

No comments: