Sunday, March 23, 2008

Day Fifteen - Park City, Utah

Another day of no skiing and Josee was kind enough to take me to Sundance for lunch and to see her studio. It is beautiful up there and Robert Redford has done a great job of keeping it pristine and undeveloped. Josee's art is beautiful and I will post some images and descriptions of the pieces here when I get the chance.

Dinner that night was fondue, something I volunteered to prepare. Finding the cheese was less difficult than I thought it would be but the Kirschwasser, bread and wine were a different matter. It is hard enough to find authentic baguette in Seattle, let along Park City. The problem is that the crust is always a little too soft and the bread itself too doughy. How I long for a Parisian baguette! Also, Utah has some of the weirdest alcohol laws ever. First of all, wine and liquor are only sold in state liquor stores and second the selection is terrible. Alan, Philippe (Josee's 15-year old son) went into the store to procure the right ingredients and at the register I was asked if Philippe was my son. I said no and was told that state law prohibited me from buying alcohol for 24 hours since there is some presumption that I was buying it for Philippe. Very weird. We went to another store and picked up what we needed but that was a real shocker. What passed for Kirschwasser in Utah is not what I usually use so while the fondue was good, it was not great. Memo to self - bring own kirschwasser next time I want to prepare fondue in Utah...and bread?

No comments: