Friday, February 1, 2008

Powder Days

Back from Tahoe and making a commitment to ski thirty days this season. Up to day eight and plans for lots more. It is a wonder what some well-timed skiing tips (thanks to Bettina and several random conversations with anonymous strangers on the chair lifts), diligent practice and risk-taking along with desire can accomplish. This past week I skied twice at Crystal and both days there was lots of new powder. The first day, I was pretty tentative and just touched on the powdery stuff but didn’t dive in whole hog. However, on the second day I resolved to conquer my fear and get in knee deep no matter the outcome. It worked! Taking the sage advice to “float” I spent the better part of the day in untracked and lightly tracked powder and with the exception of a few spectacular face-plants and a getting bogged down when I let my speed die, I did well and had a great time in the process. Now I know what people are marveling at when they talk about when they go on and on and on and ON and ON AND ON about powder. Somewhat sore, body mostly intact and with a renewed desire to move solidly up to the next level, I look forward to more powder adventures next week when I am back from NYC.

No comments: