Friday, February 1, 2008

Page-Turner In Training

Today was a pretty hellish day. It started early at 4am when I got up to head to SeaTac for my 6am flight to LGA via ORD. Memo to self: never, ever fly through Chicago in the winter. What, am I stupid? Probably. Flight SEA-ORD was going to be delayed until 7:30. Magically it went back to 6:20am and we were off. Kind of. Get my seat and my phone rings. 6am. Who could it be? Why, it is United calling me to tell me my 1pm ORD-LGA leg has been canceled and they have kindly booked me on the 5pm. Fuck. Ok. Get to ORD (a little early, even) and get on the phone to get on the 3pm to LGA. So far, so good. Go to gate and find that has been delayed to 5pm too. Fuck! Again. Call UA back and switch back to original 5pm flight since it would be a wash and I had a better seat. New 5pm flight moved to 6:35pm. Fuck, fuck. Ok. Get some food, write some blog entries, do some email. Good, right? No! 6:35pm moved to 7:53pm. Fuckedy, fuck, fuck. Resigned to my fate I sit in the simplicity of the now. What now? Boy, there are a bunch of musicians with violins, violas and cellos waiting for the same flight. They break out their instruments and have an impromptu concert. Turns out they are the world renowned Orpheus Chamber Orchestra. They play two pieces. Pictures and video posted on Facebook. Totally broke the tension and downer that everyone was feeling from the repeated delays. This group of 15 musicians were playing right next to us. I was so close that I served as a page turner for the violists. For a crummy day, this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I can even say it was worth it.

No comments: