Saturday, January 19, 2008

Time Off and Time Away

I started a 3 1/2 month leave from Amazon in mid-December. I had personally reached a point where I was running on fumes and needed some time and space to process and resolve a lot of the stuff that has happened in the past year or so in my personal life.

I love Amazon. It has captured my heart and imagination for more than 10 years (longer than either of my marriages, I might add). I have never been somewhere where there is an opportunity to learn and grow as much, as diversely and as quickly. But it can be all-consuming. Or perhaps Amazon attracts people with that particular gene. In my time there, I have seen that those who are successful and thrive there have a relentless dedication to always doing better, serving the customer (really, this is not a BS platitude) and never settling for second best. This is what makes it so vibrant.

My time off has been terrific so far. For the first week or so, I slept about 10 hours every night and took a nap in the middle of the day. I didn't realize how drained I had let myself become. I was lethargic and had little energy. I wasn't particularly emotionally resilient either. I really needed the time to reinvent, reinvigorate and reconnect with myself.

No comments: