Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Mount Rose

Yesterday, we skied Mount Rose, a little resort just above Incline Village at the north end of Lake Tahoe. It was my first day on my new Volkl AC30's. I was nervous about switching to a new pair of skis having retired my 9-year old pair of Volant Powercarves. Skis have changed a lot in the past decade, that's for sure. Even though the Volant's are parabolic, the new generation of skis are even more so. The new boards are fatter at each end and rounded, the tips and tails are also a little more turned up. For the first few runs I was a little uncomfortable since the skis felt like they were over-steering and I had to get used to how quickly they responded. The Volkl's handled the groomed very well and made powder skiing easier than it has ever been. By the end of the day I had confidently navigated a nice steep powdery black diamond. All-in-all, I am glad that I bought these new skis and look forward to many more days slope-side this winter pushing them and myself to new heights.

1 comment:

RHurst said...

Great post! I have been thinking about getting a pair of Volkl skis myself, so I am glad to hear that they handle well. My friend swears by them, so I guess Ill get a pair!