Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The story so far

The past year has been pretty rough. Separation, divorce, grieving, realization, growth, new friends, old friends. A whirlwind of changes, "newals," renewals. A year ago I was just starting the divorce process which ended up being all consuming pretty much through the Fall, Winter and Spring. I was finally done with all the bickering, lawyering, paperwork on May 30th. What a sense of relief. Until that point, I felt like my life was in a holding pattern. Nothing was really mine. My house, my assets, my furniture, even my cars. Everything was in legal limbo. After May 30th things started to loosen up. Not all at once, but gradually and at varying rates.

Even before the divorce was final, I started to take steps to create the life I wanted to have. I was sick of waiting for it to somehow happen spontaneously by itself. It never did. I fulfilled a years-long desire to take singing lessons, finding Katy who weekly helps me learn how to use and develop my voice. Currently, I am working on some jazz pieces which one day I may have the temerity to perform for others. I had always loved cooking but took it on with the kind of passion I demonstrate for all things that grab me. While I had started to develop a taste for wine over the prior year, I also dove into this amassing a terrific collection mainly of great reds and a few whites. My desire to fill my home with life prompted me to adopt two kittens, Booger and Shy. Black-furred terrors but too adorable to remain mad at for long. I am creating the community I crave by entertaining friends in my home. Acting classes start 10/1.

I have embarked on a path that has me seeing life as a continuously unfolding new adventure that I can mostly make up as I go. Beats having expectations both unrealized and unrealizable.

No comments: