Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Double-tall, half-caf, light-foam, no-whip mocha?

On Sunday, I was brunching with my friend's Pipo and Sebastian at Bettina's house. They own Seattle Coffee Works, a terrific little coffee shop on Pike and 1st near Pike Place Market. We were talking about making coffee, me having just brewed some stove-top espresso using one of those little Italian espresso makers. In a flash, it all became clear. I should become a barista to learn the art of drawing espresso shots using one of those enormous espresso machines. Far-fetched? Maybe. Crazy? Definitely. But what the heck. How else am I going to learn how to make the perfect shot of espresso? So here's the idea. I will volunteer some of my time as a barista at Seattle Coffee Works and Sebastian will tutor me in the art of the bean. Not sure when I am going to do this, but after a couple of days thinking about it, it still seems like a good idea.

Frankly, the idea of learning how to do this well is very appealing. However, the prospect of interacting directly with customers is terrifying. I am not used to not being in the driver's seat. For this very reason, I know I have to do this. Humility after all is something to be striven for and being in the service industry will, I am sure, offer many opportunities to practice.

2 comments:

DaveSchappell said...

So what you're saying is that you'd love to find someone to teach you to learn how to make a fantastic espresso? Sounds like a mission for TeachStreet! :-)

Unknown said...

We're on, Peter! We'll decide on your first day if you really become Barista, or if you'll have to learn how to roast coffee. Our first (little) coffee roaster is arriving next week. Deal?